Anti-Social Behaviour

Posted by on Jun 6th, 2019 in Community News, Latest News | Comments Off on Anti-Social Behaviour

Nuisance Bikes

Whether these are electric scooters, quad, mini moto, hover boards, mopeds, or trial bikes, here is some clarification around some of the rules on these from Kent Police.

These can also be found on the Kent Police Website

Can my child use their electric scooter/bike, quad, mini moto, hoover board or Segway on the road or pavement?

All the above are all examples of vehicles that may be considered in legal terms to be mother vehicles and are therefore subject to all the usual legal requirements that apply to cars or motorcycles e.g. tax, insurance, registration and driving license. They cannot therefore be used on a road unless they conform to the law and many such vehicles will never be ‘road legal’ as their design fails to meet UK or EC road vehicle standards. Furthermore, such vehicles cannot legally be used on the pavement either, in fact the only place they can be used is on private land with landowner’s permission. If the land is owned by the council it is unlikely they will have given permission for them to ride on their land either.

If such vehicles are used on the road/ pavements by young people, not only may the rider be committing a number of offences but their parents may also face prosecution for aiding and abetting or permitting the offence.

If you know the details of a youth that is driving any of these on the pavements or roads, then please contact us. The police have a new Meereen of powers to deal with the use of such vehicles, these include the seizure of the vehicle under section 165A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (power to seize vehicles driven without a licence or insurance) or section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 (seizure of vehicles used in the manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance).

There are always youths on motor bikes/ mopeds and in cars screeching up and down the road, it is very dangerous, what can the police do?

It is important for us to obtain as much information as possible with regards to the details of the car/ bike and also the driver / rider and passengers. You do not have to disclose your details to the police if you are fearful of reprisals. It is best to contact the police as so. As the cars / bikes arrive so that the police have a better chance of apprehending those responsible. You can report it via the non- emergency number 101 or via report a crime.

Other things that get reported to us are Anti-social behaviour

Types of issues covered by the term anti-social behaviour are:

  • Noise and rowdy behaviour – this doesn’t include children playing or DIY noise unless at an unreasonable time of day/night.
  • Vandalism
  • Graffiti, litter and fly tipping
  • Noisy or intimidating dog
  • Misuse of fireworks, fires being started
  • Drug dealing, taking drugs or drinking alcohol in the street
  • Harassment, intimidation or threatening behaviour
  • Nuisance neighbours

Together with Kent Fire and Rescue Service, councils and other public and voluntary organisations, we use our powers to get to the root of the problems and take action.

Who do you contact?

While we are responsible for tackling some aspects of anti – social behaviour, your local council deals with:

  • Noise (including loud music from parties, neighbours, alarms, animals).
  • abandoned vehicles
  • Graffiti
  • fly tipping

All other issues 

If a crime is in progress or in an emergency call 999. For non- urgent issues report a crime via 101 or on the report a crime, or Ashford Borough Council